Entrepreneurship classes comes to Scholar House of Paducah | Business
(KFVS) - Murray State University Regional Business and Innovative Center and Paducah Housing Services, Inc. are partnering to offer "Operation JumpStart" Entrepreneurship Development classes August 21-September 27 from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
The classes will be at the new Scholar House of Paducah, 1035 Old North Friendship Road, located behind West Kentucky Community and Technical College. All classes will be taught and facilitated by certified "Operation JumpStart" instructor Phyllis A. Maclin, vice president of Paducah Services Housing, Inc., guest entrepreneurs and business professionals appearing weekly to provide insight into their business operations and pathways to financial success. Classes and training manuals are free to all attendees.
Guest entrepreneurs scheduled to share business experience and advice include:
- Clay Campbell - CEO of The Kentucky Opry and Distinguished Toastmaster
- J.T. Carneal - B.S. Degree in Accounting and Business Law, 50 years experience in tax service, previous owner T.M.C. Telephone L.D. Service, R.E. Corp., Internet Co., Motivational Speaker and Business Leader
- Lynne Chambers-Ketchens - CEO, Chambers and Associates, LLC and Certified "Operation JumpStart" Facilitator
- Angela Copeland - Revenue manager, City of Paducah
- Tony Copeland - Purchasing agent, ARKEMA, Inc.
- Kenneth B. Hurt - MBA, IRS Revenue Officer
- Winfred J. Nunn - Former IRS Agent and USEC Health Physicist
- David Nelson - Coldwell Banker Broker and Realtor
- Scott Johnston - Independence Bank Vice President of Commercial Lending
A tentative class schedule includes:
- Aug. 21 - Introduction: The Business Model Phyllis Maclin and Lynne Chambers-Ketchens
- Aug. 23 - Communicating the Business Concept I: L. Chambers-Ketchens & Winfred Nunn
- Aug. 28 - Gathering Information for Feasibility - Scott Johnson
- Aug. 30 - Products and Services - Tony Copeland & Angela Copeland
- Sept. 4 - Market Analysis: Industry and Competition - Clay Campbell
- Sept. 6 - Market Analysis: Market Segments and Strategies - David Nelson
- Sept. 11 - Price & Profitability: Pricing, Cost and Break-Even - J.T. Carneal
- Sept. 13 - Price & Profitability: Cost of Business & Profit - J.T. Carneal
- Sept. 18 - Price & Profitability: Cash Flow - J.T. Carneal
- Sept. 20 - Plan for Further Action: Cash Flow - J.T. Carneal
- Sept. 25 - Plan for Further Action: Final Reality Check and Plan - Kenneth B. Hurt
- Sept. 27 - Feasibility Plan/Graduation - Phyllis Maclin & Distinguished Guests
"Operation JumpStart" curriculum leads entrepreneurs through defining their personal vision and goals and to determining whether a business concept is a feasible business opportunity. It was created in 2006 by the Douglas C. Greene Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at Southeast Missouri State University in Cape Girardeau, Mo.
To register, you can contact Phyllis Maclin at 270-450-4221 or Debbie Toon at 270-450-4219.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.