Murray State announces death of sophomore defensive end | News
CALLOWAY COUNTY, KY (KFVS) - The Murray State University athletic department has announced the passing of their sophomore defensive end on Thursday.
The department says they have endured the tragic loss of Jeffrey Richard.
“We are deeply saddened by the loss of Jeff,” said head football coach Chris Hatcher. “He was a fine young man and outstanding member of our football team. His departure from us is tragic and he will be missed greatly. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this very difficult time.”
According to MSU, Richard, from Elizabethtown, Ky., appeared in all 11 games as a true freshman, earning the start in the final three games of the season. He made an immediate impact on special teams as he blocked a punt against UT Martin and recovered a blocked punt for a touchdown against Mississippi Valley State. He finished the season with 21 tackles, including 5.0 tackles-for-loss and a sack.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Calloway County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 2 arrested in McCracken Co. after search of home, meth lab found
- Crash on Old US 45, Lebanon Church Rd. sends 2 to the hospital
- Lane restriction at US 45/US 62 intersection in Paducah starting June 19
- Rain contributed to crash that sent Mayfield teen to hospital
- KYTC: Citizens provide input on improving KY 1286, KY 998